Forum Cleanup/Making It More Welcoming

5 posts in this topic

Hello everyone!  I've returned unannounced from a rather long break, and I really want to get back into RPing again.

However, after returning for a few days, I've realized again why I left.  Perhaps it's just something with my memory, but I really do see a lack of fresh faces.  I've talked with people that I remember, even if they don't remember me.  It's kind of upsetting...  Then I decided to take the entrance exam.  And that was a pain.  After getting lost in all the lore questions, I turned to the Discord to ask why I couldn't find answers hidden within the essays of species lore.  Unbeknownst to me there was a second link for lore, a small summary of each species, hidden right under the first link to lore.

"Maybe instead of immediately giving up and asking for help you should look around on the guidelines page more!"

Maybe I should've.  But as a returning player, I myself find all the guidelines and lore just *listed* there a tad bit overwhelming.  I can't imagine what a newer RPer / player must feel when they look at the guidelines.  Had I been completely new I would've given up and gone back to Dark Souls.  

So now, the main topic of this post, the thesis.  I myself think that the guidelines page and forum home page is too messy for a new person to navigate.  

Yes, rules are important, but maybe I don't want to have a fleet right now, do I need to waste time reading those rules?  Maybe just a disclaimer ("Before deciding to have a fleet of ships IC, please read the following rules") and a link to the fleet guidelines on the rules page would suffice just as much.  What if I don't use Discord? Do I need to read those rules?

My suggestion: Make the home page and rules page more navigable for newer members.  Present them first with what they absolutely need to know.  Immediately presenting the server and forum as complex drives potential members away...  

I'm not the best at explaining things in depth, so I've probably left one or two points out.  But I think this should suffice.

I agree.

Expect it to be brought up during the next staff meeting this friday.

Yeah, I can agree on this. As a veteran, it even took me a minute to find all the info I needed to pass the entrance exam again. If it takes us a minute to find stuff, imagine what those poor new players are going through. Poor souls must be lost as all hell. (Some, not all).

As a new kid, it is a bit much.