11 Ways to be a Better Roleplayer - An Adaptation

12 posts in this topic

I will also be posting one of the other articles Grant wrote to expand on points 3 and 4 later on.

Watch as people start taking rule 11 wrong and play to win

If rule 7 (GM = STAFF) is valid.

Worst GM's ever.

:kappa:

There are many good tips in this guide.

There are also several very invalid tips in this guide.

I won't bother pointing out all the bads or goods unless prompted to do so.

1 hour ago, Drakkar said:

SEVEN. Give the game your attention. If you can’t give your full attention, step away from the table.

"Hey! What’s that you’re playing, on your phone there? Oh, is it Candy Crush Saga? That’s funny, all these dice and character sheets gave me the impression that we were playing Dungeons and Fucking Dragons, I must be terribly mistaken."

It is hard to think of a way to be more dismissive of someone’s game than playing a different game during it. If you find yourself getting so bored by what’s going on you’re resorting to playing a game on your phone, or reading a book, or checking Facebook, then step away from the game. You are draining the players with your very presence. I would rather have an empty chair than someone who wasn’t paying attention, because I don’t have to entertain an empty chair.

And of course, it’s up to the GM to offer an entertaining game. This is not one-sided. But going back to point one, act whenever you can. Give them something to work with. Unless you’re paying them money to do this, they are under no obligation to dance like a monkey for you just because they’re behind the screen.

This is the biggest problem on GC right now.

Whenever I RP with someone and heck, we're in group RP, I, or the other player get neglected, often not replied to, even when doing some actions towards involved characters. Don't even make me started on how this affects RP and how rude it is to not acknowledge that someone is talking to you. People often say they don't really pay attention because they are doing something else and when confronted - they get pissed off and either start saying that what I say is bullshit. There are dozens of these on this server and I will simply not name them to not start a flame-war.

People pretty much forget or don't want to react to actions that characters do. I am drained a lot of times by sitting there and doing actions, repeating them 3-4 times before FINALLY someone acknowledges it and replies with the most shameless and lazy one line reply or simple nod towards my character.

It's pissing me off OOC because I give my full attention to people and I have been trying to get their attention back - the problem is that people RARELY give any back. It's rude to me - as a person, that my messages to you get ignored. Sometimes I think it may happen even due to OOC reasons which I honestly find dumb. I am pissed about this particular thing so much on this server that it nearly drove me away from RP. People just don't try and are too freaking lazy to reply.

Don't tell me that chat might be flooded because simple scroll up and taking a little bit more time to find message from person sitting near you isn't hard, and I am doing that EVERY SINGLE TIME I miss it.

43 minutes ago, SilverGallium said:

There are many good tips in this guide.

There are also several very invalid tips in this guide.

I won't bother pointing out all the bads or goods unless prompted to do so.

Sorry if I'm being rude, but that's pretty much like those Youtube comments that say 

"I didn't like this video, unsubscribed."

Constructive criticism is a great thing, and has lead to the improvement of many, many things. If you have an issue with something, be sure to always say it, as it will help improve what's being criticized!

46 minutes ago, WindWaver said:

Sorry if I'm being rude, but that's pretty much like those Youtube comments that say 

"I didn't like this video, unsubscribed."

Constructive criticism is a great thing, and has lead to the improvement of many, many things. If you have an issue with something, be sure to always say it, as it will help improve what's being criticized!

^

Also: Grant wrote this talking about Tabletop RPGs. Truth of the matter is, the type of role-play we do in GC is one that, for the most part, came from Tabletop RPGs. Ours is more social, less of a game, with no win/lose factors. It still applies to our type of role-play, with some minor adaptations.

(Do you remember that great story about that hobbit who told Gandalf to fuck off, and sat at home picking his hairy toes all day before his entire village was swallowed up by the armies of darkness? No. No you bloody don’t. So put on your backpack and get out there, Frodo)

Bilbo :|

7 hours ago, Drakkar said:

with no win/lose factors. 

Sadly, that's become debatable as of recent, what with people wanting to win faction wars and CRP.

49 minutes ago, WindWaver said:

Sadly, that's become debatable as of recent, what with people wanting to win faction wars and CRP.

People act like there is a win/lose factor, but there's none.